SVC Awarded $145,789 U.S. Department of Education Grant for New Programs in International Studies, Foreign Languages

by Public Relations | Apr 07, 2017

April 7, 2017

Dr. Doreen Blandino Alice Kaylor Dr. Elaine Bennett Sara Hart
Saint Vincent College has received a major federal grant from the U.S. Department of Education to advance international studies and foreign languages.

The college earned the $145,789 grant through the Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language (UISFL) program for a two-year project, “Linking Lives: Engaging Students in Global Perspectives.”

The project, which focuses on Latin America and East Asia, will prepare Saint Vincent students to live and work in a globally diverse world by strengthening and improving undergraduate instruction in international studies and foreign languages, by providing resources to improve student proficiency in foreign languages and by expanding opportunities for Saint Vincent students to participate in service learning and research in foreign countries.

It will be directed by Alice Kaylor, dean of studies, in conjunction with Dr. Elaine Bennett, associate professor of anthropology; Dr. Doreen Blandino, professor of modern and classical languages; and Sara Hart, director of the study abroad program.

Faculty in other disciplines will be involved in creating new courses including Dr. Timothy Kelly, professor of history; Dr. Tina Johnson, associate professor of history; Dr. Junlei Li, professor of psychology; Dr. Peter Smyntek, assistant professor of interdisciplinary science; Ben Schachter, professor of visual arts; Dr. Christopher McMahon, associate professor of theology; and Dr. Ying (Angela) Xiao, visiting Hanban assistant professor of Chinese.

In keeping with UISFL’s mandate that awardees share the costs of funded programs, the grant will cover 48.5 percent of the total cost of the project with $154,807 in college resources making up the remaining 51.5 percent.

“Saint Vincent College understands that for its students to integrate their professional aims with the broader purposes of human life, a global and diverse perspective is necessary,” commented Br. Norman W. Hipps, O.S.B., president. “The overall goal of the project is to prepare Saint Vincent College students to live and work in a globally diverse world by expanding opportunities in global studies, foreign language practice and study abroad. This is a highly competitive program. For fiscal year 2016-17, the government made just 24 awards nationwide. This program fits in well with our new strategic plan to promote global and diverse perspectives.”

The objectives of the interdisciplinary project are to expand Saint Vincent College’s curriculum in global studies, to expand the foreign language curriculum and opportunities in Chinese and Spanish connected to students’ professional goals and to support international opportunities for students through the study abroad program.

The design of the project will allow Saint Vincent to build on its existing strengths and connections with international institutions and organizations, foreign language programs and established service learning, student research and travel opportunities.

---

Photo: Alice Kaylor (standing), director of Saint Vincent College’s “Linking Lives: Engaging Students in Global Perspectives” project which has received a major federal grant from the U.S. Department of Education, reviews plans for new programs in international studies and foreign languages with Dr. Doreen Blandino, Dr. Elaine Bennett and Sara Hart. The project focuses on Latin America and East Asia and will prepare students to live and work in a globally diverse world.

---

Follow us on Twitter: @MySaintVincent
Like us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/saintvincentcollege

PR2017-067

 

Upcoming Events More