The Benedictine Leadership Studies (BLS) program is a Student Affairs initiative in partnership with academic and administrative colleagues. Each year, the program invites applications from freshmen students of all majors who have an interest in the study of leadership principles and a desire to experience followership and leadership roles through their years at Saint Vincent College.
The Rule of Saint Benedict serves as the cornerstone leadership model, exposing students to a deeper understanding of leadership in their personal and professional lives and in service to the local, national and global community.
The purpose of the BLS program includes the analysis of who we are as individuals, how we serve and influence our communities and the development of a meaningful understanding of God’s purpose for our lives.
The BLS program goals are threefold:
- Saint Vincent College students will develop a deep understanding of the sustainability and applicability of the Saint Benedict leadership model.
- Saint Vincent College students will be prepared to effectively serve as both leaders and followers in their personal and professional lives.
- Saint Vincent College students will gain an academic understanding of national and international leadership.
The BLS program content includes:
- Knowledge seminars
- Conferences (as attendees and eventually as presenters)
- Mentoring from leaders who serve both on and off campus
- Service (as participants and eventually as organizers of projects)
- Career and professional development, including leadership-focused internships
- Personal reflection and assessment
- Study abroad
BLS has a competitive admissions process. Interested students apply for acceptance the summer before their freshman year. Selection criteria include items such as GPA, leadership activities, community service, student essays describing why they want to be in the program and professional recommendations.
For more information, contact the Office of Student Affairs at 724-805-2567 or StudentAffairs@stvincent.edu.
Meet Our BLS Students